Thank you to everyone who attended our first annual career forum! We had over 80 of you guys show up and 25 questions asked on the anonymous slido questions!
We added categories as well to the questions asked too!
Do I need a portfolio, and how?
- What is the best way to create a portfolio in web development?
- How can I have a good GitHub portfolio when I haven’t landed my first job yet? Does having small projects on GitHub matter?
- Do I have to have a portfolio to get an internship?
What do I skills/experiences do I list on my resume?
- How much value do hackathons have on resumes? Even when you lose.
- Do employers really view GitHub portfolios for internship purposes? And what do I need to have in my portfolio before applying for an internship?
- What skills are absolutely required in any backend internship or entry level job
- Will listing software engineering freelancer as a junior engineer certified in AWS be beneficial or will it hurt my chances to land a job ?
- Do you feel AI programming skills would make candidates positively stand out?
Avenues for looking for a job
- Are tech recruiters helpful if you dont have much experience? Arent they focused on more experienced candidates?
- Other than social media, how can you find tech jobs at software companies near you?
What do tech leads hiring care about?
- How do you measure success of an engineer at your company, and what do you believe should be some ways to measure.
- Which do you think is better for assessing a candidate during interviewing and why? On the spot algorithmic coding challenges or take home projects
How much education do I need?
- Nadia what bootcamp you went and what specific?
- 4 year university vs boot camps? In your opinion which is more advantageous to have and why?
- I want to pursue a master degree, should I do that right after graduation or after I have several years of experience?
How can I be a better developer?
- As a junior studying comp sci, I have not done a lot of projects except school projects. I have an internship for the summer. Any advice on improving ?
- I feel like I never have enough knowledge to contribute to open source projects, any tips?
What's it like being a software developer in industry?
- How important is Agile in your job
- What is the hardest part of your job
- What’s the food like in IT
The economy sucks, what now?
- With so many tech lay offs how can we negotiate a competitive salary fresh out of school / boot camp?
- How to get job, With hard time on market right now? it’s hard for juniors (every company requirements is at least 3-5 years)
Long term career strategy
- How do you view staying at one company for a long time versus changing jobs every couple of years?